Thursday 22 August 2013

Brisbane and back to the real world

This past weekend a couple of my friends and I visited other friends at UQ in Brisbane. A huge plus was that it was super easy to get to and the train only cost $4.
I actually think staying in hostels is fun too. Like a big sleepover with all of my friends. In a fun place.
Anyways, I got to Brisbane last thursday, ate some delicious mexican food (so many cool restaurants there) and then went to a bar called the Vic that had a few floors and different bars. Met some Germans. It was awesome. Although there was a giant fight right before my friends and I left. Bouncers here are oddly strict about who they let into bars, as they will turn people away on the spot if they seem too drunk.
Friday we toured the city, which is much smaller than i initially thought, and then explored and went to on take a quick nap in the Botanic Garden (there was free wifi there too).
For dinner we went to grill'd which has the best burgers i've ever tasted. Then went to a chocolateria with unreal desserts including macaroon ice cream sandwiches. I was so full i couldn't fit dessert in my stomach.




Friday night we ventured to a different part of the city, the valley, to a bar called the MET which has 5 floors and different bars on each floor. It wasn't super crowded or fun but a really cool place, plus I got in for free so I couldn't complain.
Saturday we took a ferry ride and went to a cool lookout spot called Kangaroo point. There was a beautiful view of story bridge. My friends Maddy who goes to UQ takes the ferry to school every day. Kinda cool but my seasickness might be an issue if I were her.


We then returned to the Botanic Gardens for a pb and j picnic and saw a wedding! It was really pretty and they had some good music. We met 3 little australian boys who were the ring bearers.


Saturday night in an effort to save money we cooked dinner at Maddy's apartment then went to the MET for a second time. It was packed! Not super fun or my scene though since it was a lot of dubstep music and people kept stepping on my ankles. We moved on later to a smaller bar that was less crowded where i proceeded to dance like an absolute fool and even worked up a sweat. Go me?
On Sunday, we explored South Bank, where Maddy's apartment is and where our hostel was and ventured to a Thai festival. So many people crowded into a tiny tiny space but the Pad Thai was worth it. So delicious.
Brisbane was a blast and I'm definitely going to try to go back soon.
After a weekend of eating and drinking and sightseeing, once I got back to Griffith I was ready to get back into the routine of being a real student. The fitness competition to attend 21 classes in 28 days started Monday, I'm 7 classes down so far and I got back on track with my lacrosse workouts. 
My friends and I have a small girl crush on this teacher at the gym named Maria who is an intense aussie with a super short hair cut that is dyed in the front to look like a skunk sort of. She always wears cool matching outfits and has awesome jams during her classes, which of course she sings along to. She said I can friend her on facebook. I might.
I've been spending more time in the library this week too, as I have two papers due in a couple of weeks. The paper writing process might be a nightmare as I haven't written a real paper since I took international affairs first semester of sophomore year.
The weather continues to get nicer and more beautiful, and Australia continues to get more and more amazing. And i'm almost halfway through my semester! Unreal.


PS there's a Margaret st. in Brisbane.



No comments:

Post a Comment