Thursday 1 August 2013

First month over!

After the first week of classes, two trips to the campus health center and quite a few new experiences, I'm sorry to report that I don't have too much to say.
I spent most of last week trying to get healthy after managing to get all of my roommates sick.
Then, last weekend my friends and I made another trip to Surfer's Paradise and the beach. One of my friends claims he saw a small shark while surfing. I'm still not sure if I believe him.


Last week was the Back to School party at the Unibar. We dressed up like nerds. And stayed for about 15 minutes but that's beside the point.


Speaking of the Unibar, the fact that it even exists is so foreign to me but pretty awesome. I went to a comedy show there last night, which actually wasn't that funny but still fun. I walked through there today at 11am and quite a few people were there hanging out playing pool and drinking pitchers of beer. Talk about the no worries lifestyle!

Classes here are an interesting concept. Lectures so far are extremely lightly attended, as all are recorded online. Students seem as though they can't be bothered by going to class. Very different from Skidmore. In my Creative Writing tutorial this week I found that the majority of students are gamers and theater majors. My teacher just wrote his PhD novel on his own fantasy world. Should be pretty interesting.

The campus here is very compact, full of windy paths and at times feels as though I'm in the jungle. I'm still getting used to the interesting schedule that I have here, which is very different from home. No classes on Wednesday or Thursday, with Tuesday Wednesday and Sunday being nights where people go out. Actually people go out every night!


This week I went to a few classes at the gym so as to combat the alcohol and cheap food intake. I met a girl who plays lacrosse in England. It made me realize how much I'm going to miss playing while I'm gone. Surprisingly, there aren't a lot of lax opportunities here. Hopefully I'll be able to find one. Fingers crossed.

Tomorrow is Race day, which reminds me of Saratoga. my friends and I spent the week looking for dresses and hats. I think it will be a lot of fun, especially given that the races start at noon and last all day long. Australians know how to have a great time so I expect nothing but a giant party.

I also booked my spring break trip to Bali!! I'm planning out my 10 day adventure currently, which will hopefully include an elephant ride, sunrise hike over an active volcano, trip to a monkey forest and batik art class. Can't wait!
I promise I'll have more to report after the day at the races and the weekend trips I have planned for the next few weekends. I can't believe I've been here for a month already. I've already had so many awesome experiences and met so many great people.
It's going by so much faster than I thought, and I know that in a few short months I'm not going to be ready to come home!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment